Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Prompt Response 16: What about the future?

Prompt:  How have reading and books changed since you were a child, for you specifically?  Second, talk a little about what you see in the future for reading, books, or publishing - say 20 years from now.  Will we read more or less, will our reading become more interactive?  What will happen to traditional publishing?

I have loved reading and books for as long as I can remember.  My Mom read to me when I was very young. She took me to storytime when I was three.  My best friends, Lori and Rory had an older sister who could read.  After storytime, she would read to us.  It was awesome!  When I went to first grade, we read about Dick, Jane, Sally, Spot, and Puff.  I have loved reading ever since.  I remember loving visits to the school library.  In second grade, I discovered Marguerite Henry, and read  Brighty of the Grand Canyon, Misty of Chincoteague, and as many horse stories as I could get my hands on.  In third grade, I continued my love of reading about horses with Black Beauty, reading late into the night under the covers with a flashlight.  In fourth grade, I discovered From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, and A Wrinkle in Time. I have spent many pleasant hours lost in good books and my life is richer for it.

My taste in literature has changed with my age and circumstances, but in every stage of my life, books have entertained and enlightened me.  From the time that my children could listen, I have read to them.  I discovered that reading to my children was just as enjoyable as reading to myself, and when they were older, we read to each other.  Reading has enriched my life in so many ways.  In addition to changes in my tastes in reading, I have learned to enjoy books in various formats.  While I still love to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea, I also really enjoy listening to books while I am driving or doing mindless household chores.  I have also spent many happy hours reading on my iPad or PC.  Even surfing the web is made possible by reading.  So while the subject and format of my reading may have changed, reading remains a constant in my life.

As far as my vision of the future of reading, books, and publishing - I see reading always being important to society.  Some have published scary futuristic visions of bookless futures, such as aldous Huxley's A Brave New World, but I do not believe reading is going anywhere.  Almost everything we do requires reading.  Checking your Facebook means reading everyone'd posts.  Google, texting, Twitter, Blogger... we're surrounded by words more than ever before.

About the future of books - there have always been those who love to read books and those who don't.  I don't think that will change.  Twenty years from now, there will still be those of us who love to read books, and we will pass our love of books on to future generations.  The format of those books may change and grow.  I tend to agree with Germano when he said, "New media does not have to succeed by defeating our historical media.  We collectively benefit from the diversity."(2010)  I think we will be able to listen to our ebooks.  When you download an ebook, you'll be able to listen to it also.  The iWatch and other wearable digital devices will allow us to answer our phone and to listen to a book whenever we wish.  We may even have holographic technology that allows us to immerse ourselves in the books's world.

I do think there are changes coming for the publishing world.  20 years from now, all (or at least most) books that are published will be available as ebooks.  I think the print book will still be around, but fewer books will be published in print.  As self publishing becomes easier, the big publisher will have to re-invent themselves to keep from becoming obsolete.  Publishing and printing books for authors might not be their primary service - editing, marketing, and other service will become more important to authors.  Publishers need authors, but as authors need publishers less, the publishers will have to provide new services.  Those are my thoughts, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds!


Germano, W., Di Leo, J., & Wachtell, D. (2010, October 1). Fate of the book. The Chronicle Review.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with your sentiment that print books will not disappear. I still think publishers will be in full swing. Many people self publish because it can be an emotionally exhausting and sometimes traumatic event to some people. I think the public still relies on publishers to preview and review books so they can focus their attention with all of the distractions that abound in the book world.

    ReplyDelete