Sunday, April 5, 2015

Week 12 Prompt Response

Readers Advisory Matrix for Wild by Cheryl Strayed



1. Where is the book on the narrative continuum?
  •   Highly narrative (reads like fiction)
2. What is the subject of the book?
  •  Cheryl's journey after her mother's death, through despair and self-destructive behavior to     self discovery and eventual healing on an incredible 1100 mile hike of the Pacific Crest Trail. 
3. What type of book is it?
  •  Memoir and story of healing
4. Articulate Appeal
  • What is the pacing of the book?  
    • For the most part, the pace of this book is leisurely, following her journey, articulating her thoughts.  Her hike is also an adventure and has times of suspense.
  • Describe the characters in this book.  
    • This is a character-focused story and Cheryl is the main character, telling her own story. Other characters include her Mom, Step-father, sister, and   brother, and people she meets on the Pacific Crest Trail.
  • How does the story feel?  
    • The story is vivid, bleak, inspiring, and uplifting as Cheryl moves beyond despair and finds inspiration and healing in her journey.
  • What is the intent of the author?  
    • To tell the story of her journey, both inward and actual.
  • What is the focus of the story?  
    • Cheryl's hike on the Pacific Crest Trail, alone, and the profound effect it had on her life
  • Does the language matter? 
    • Yes, the language is rich and evocative but also straightforward
  • Is the setting important and well described?  
    • The setting is essential to the book, and the descriptions are vivid
  • Are there details, and if so, of what?  
    • The book is filled with detail - of her feelings and actions, and the hardships and pleasures she found on the hike. 
  • Are there sufficient charts or other graphic material?  Are they useful and clear?
    • None
  • Does the book stress moments of learning, understanding, or experience?
    • The book stresses all three.  Cheryl describes her journey and the things she learned and understands because of her experiences.
5. Why would a reader enjoy this book?
  1.     Reading about Cheryl's emotional journey is heartbreaking and uplifting
  2.     The descriptions of the Pacific Crest Trail are breathtaking
  3.     Cheryl is an excellent storyteller; her writing is elegant yet incisive

It has been a little while since I read Wild, but I really enjoyed it.  I'm excited about seeing the movie!

3 comments:

  1. I've got to admit that I haven't read the book but I did see the movie. While I LOVE Reese Witherspoon, I didn't like the movie. The character of Cheryl in the movie began to annoy me. I plan on reading the book just to see if that feeling is reciprocated in the book. I feel from your review that I will get more of the internal part of her struggle from the book that would perhaps explain more about some of the decisions that she makes on her trip that had me shaking my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She definitely makes some self-destructive choices. I am sorry to hear that the character is annoying in the movie as I was looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She definitely makes some self-destructive choices. I am sorry to hear that the character is annoying in the movie as I was looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete